On the Web
These are websites that The Carruth Center staff recommend for parents to gain a better understanding of the variety of topics that affect children who have language and learning differences.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association: Leading professional association for audiologists, speech-language pathologists, speech, language, and hearing scientists, support personnel, and students
- Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association: Texas professional membership organization for SLPs, audiologists, Texans who have speech or hearing disorders, and students of speech-language pathology
- International Dyslexia Association: Provides resources for professionals and families dealing with reading disabilities
- Houston Branch of the International Dyslexia Association: Non-profit organization dedicated to helping individuals with dyslexia by connecting them to the network of professionals affiliated with the International Dyslexia Association
- Attention Deficit Disorders Association (Southern Region): A resource network designed to support those with attention deficit disorders and related conditions
- National Center for Learning Disabilities: Resource for parents and educators regarding the different types of learning disabilities that affect children and adults
- LD Online: The leading website for understanding learning disabilities and ADHD
- LD Resources: A collection of resources – lists of schools, professionals, organizations and tools – regarding a variety of learning disabilities
- The National Association for Child Development: Toolkit designed to help parents help their child “achieve their innate potential”
- Developmental Delay Resources (DDR): Network resource that integrates conventional and holistic approaches for parents and professionals who support children who have special needs.
- Neuhaus Education Center: Non-profit educational foundation dedicated to promoting reading success by providing evidence-based professional development to educators, resources and support to parents, and direct services for adult learners
- Special Schools Coalition: Network of special educators in non-profit schools who are dedicated to collaboration, resource-sharing and increased community awareness and support
- Autism Speaks: Organization dedicated to funding research, raising awareness of and advocating for individuals with autism